Monday, May 12, 2008

Essay #1: Literary Analysis

I was staring at a cold, blank, box. I felt myself reaching for the remote. Why was I doing this? I was at Target a week earlier and I found an awesome toy set. I asked my mom if I could buy it and all I got was a big fat “No.” I kept repeating the phrase “Please, please, please!” and all I got was “No, no, no!” When my mom started ignoring me I started talking in Spanish “Por favor...?” I wouldn’t give up and it ended up in me being grounded.

The characters don’t give up in “The Outsiders,” “Through the Tunnel,” and “Raymond’s Run” don’t ever give up. In The Outsiders, Pony Boy fights the Sochs even though he’s feeling sick. In “Through the Tunnel,” Jerry keeps on swimming even though he is bleeding and running out of air. In “Raymond’s Run,” Hazel keeps winning her races and she doesn’t want to stop. She won’t let anyone else win. We are all perseverant and we all wanted something new.

The characters and I are both perseverant, and we all want things we can’t have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have lost the most important thing in my life; how can I earn it back? It was like a simple machine was just sitting there, taunting me as I glanced at its pictureless screen from the plush, soft couch at the back of the room. This “machine” was also known as my family’s T.V.

The day before I lost it all, my mom and I were at Target, and I saw a remarkable Lego set that I just had to have. I asked my mom by repeating the phrase “Please, please, please, c’mon!” over and over again but all I got was “No!” When my mom started ignoring me, that’s when trouble arose, I started talking in Spanish. I said, “Por favor...?” She wouldn’t give in, and my perseverance ended up in me being grounded from T.V.

The characters don’t give up in The Outsiders, “Through the Tunnel”, and “Raymond’s Run”. In The Outsiders, Pony Boy fights the Soc’s, even though he’s feeling sick. As for “Through the Tunnel,” Jerry goes through the tunnel even though he’s drowning and is about to pass out, also in “Raymond’s Run,” Hazel is so fast, and she keeps winning her races. She won’t let anyone else win. All of these characters are perseverant in their own unique ways but each character’s perseverance has its ups and downs.

The characters and I are all perseverant but, is it always a good thing? The answer is no. An example of being perseverant in a good way is when Jerry goes through the cave and discovers that it is a tunnel and leads somewhere. An example of bad perseverance is when I got grounded from T.V for being annoying. Perseverance is a word tossed around a lot these days but you must always think before you act, or your perseverance can lead to trouble one day.